2.11.2012

Homesteaders Cache Soap & Lotion {review}


You know, I was born and raised in Southeast Alaska. Tis home and I could never live anywhere else! Currently, I am living in Juneau, Alaska (the state capital). And I bet right now you are wondering why I am bringing this up when I'm supposed to be doing a review, huh? Well, the goodies I am going to be reviewing here were purchased locally!  A few months ago I purchased some soap from Homesteaders Cache at an arts & crafts fair, because I can just never resist a table full of soap. Can you? And then I convinced my mommy to give me one of the solid lotions she bought. :)

{the soap}

As you can see, I bought a sampler pack of soap. I couldn't decide which one I wanted to get and the slivers of soap just looked so pretty together! And once I got home and started playing with my new soaps, I realized something curious about myself. Not knowing which soaps were which, I found myself liking all of the scents. I find this curious because when I was at the table smelling all of the different soaps, there were some I didn't care for. It's like my idea of what things smell like affect how I perceive the soap. But in the absence of labels on these samplers, my nose was free to make its own assessment.


ANYWAY, yes I found that they all smell delightful in their own way. In my sampler bag, I got several pieces of the Alaskan Rainforest bar (did you know I live in a rainforest?!). This is one of the few I can tell which one it is. I am a bit in love with the scent - it's very clean and refreshing. I would say it's a bit of a "manly" scented soap, but heck, I still dig it. The other soaps all have a bit of that clean soapy scent mixed with a bit of nature, if you get my drift.

Lathering up with the soap, I discovered that the lather is quite enjoyable. It gets nice and thick and creamy. I was surprised by how creamy it was. It really foamed up and reminded me of shaving cream. I bet it would be wonderful for shaving your legs - I'll have to try it someday (in a few months when it's warm out… ha!). I'm pretty sure I played with the lather for about 10 minutes before I rinsed it all off, which yes, made me a bit sad! But it rinsed off well and left my skin feeling a lot softer. And the scent lingered lightly and pleasantly for awhile reminding me of all of the delightfulness of the soap.

{the lotion}

My mommy bought a bunch of these solid lotions to give as Christmas gifts and I convinced her to give me one right then and there! I guess I can be a bit impatient…



I picked the Berry Patch scent and it's wonderful. It doesn't quite remind me of a berry patch, for when I'm in a berry patch I am surrounded by all sorts of other green and earthy scents. This lotion smells nothing like that, it's just a sweet berry-ish scent with a hint of something floral. 

 There used to be a pretty design on the bar... kinda got rubbed off with use!

And as far as solid lotions go, this one is simply fantastic! It goes on well and doesn’t leave my hands feeling greasy for an hour afterwards. I find that's a problem with a lot of solid lotions - you really have to work them in before all of the greasiness goes away. That's not the case with Homesteaders Cache lotions! I can rub some on my hands and be ready to go in less than a minute! Although, when I have the time, I do enjoy putting extra on so I can rub my fingers together and feel the silkiness of it. But no matter the amount I put on, the lotion always leaves my hands very soft, even in the cold winter weather when my hands are prone to dryness.

{conclusion}

I have truly been enjoying the soaps and solid lotion from Homesteaders Cache. The soaps have some of the best lathering power I have ever experienced and the solid lotion is surprisingly non-greasy and pleasantly silky. I am definitely going to wander over sometime and buy some more Homesteaders Cache products!

And if you're ever in Juneau (and it's a wonderful place to visit!), you should stop by the Homespun Mercantile shop where they carry Homesteaders Cache products. Alternatively, you can go to their online shop and order some goodies. And I believe they offer free shipping! Sounds like a pretty good deal, eh?

What's your favorite local soap shop? :)

4 comments:

  1. You are SO blessed to live in Juneau!!! If it weren't a 2,000 mile drive I'd come up some time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Another shop going of my Must Try list. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda - I agree! Alaska is the most beautiful place and I am amazed every day by it's beauty! If you're interested, I have a photo blog of my home: therainylife.wordpress.com

    Deb - Let me know what you think if you do try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your blog link, Alyssa!!

    ReplyDelete